Sunday, March 11, 2012

New Places, New Bugs

Yesterday after the Winter Market in East Brunswick, I took a trip to Jamesburg Park. I haven't been there in years, its a little bit of the Pineys right here in Central Jersey. From the parks website.
"Its primary purpose is to protect the underground resources of the Old Bridge Sands acquifer. Just as important is the area's significance as the northernmost outlier of the New Jersey Pine Barrens, and the flora and fauna habitats it protects. There are specimens of endangered species within this preserved open space."
My reason for going was to search out a new patch for Dragonfly Surveying later in the year. Also if you read David Wheeler's book, you will know why this was the chosen area.

My walk was pretty interesting, nothing like walking on pine needles under a dense canopy of branches. Spotted a few birds, White-breasted Nuthatch, Hairy Woodpecker, a few Junco & a little group of White-throat Sparrows.





 I also noticed a lot of sand mounds along the path, and there was a little surprise in each of them. A ground bee! I have not an idea on the species. If you know, post a comment & thanks.






We played hide & seek for a bit, before I got this shot. My counting stopped at 100, but I'm quite sure that there were thousands through out the area. The only other entomology fun was a Half Wing Moth in the leaf litter and a couple of flies.

This did interest me some what, I call it the "Tricone Of Power!" Most people would just called tree debris, but whatever, man!




Last and far from least, today while walking around my local park, I found a dead opossum (Didelphis virginiana). It was in a state of stink, but there were some interesting things about it. What you say? Carrion Beetles! Two species of them, the first is Margined Carrion Beetle (Oiceoptoma noveboracense) and the all black one is Ridged Carrion Beetle (Oiceoptoma inaequale). Thanks to Blaine Mathison, Contributing Editor for Bug Guide on the ID for O. inaequale.




0 comments:

Post a Comment