Friday, May 13, 2011

Backyard Insect Rave

What do you get when you mix a blacklight & a white sheet? You get a whole lot of unknown Gnats & some Craneflies.
UV Setup

Now that it is warm here in the great state of New Jersey, the blacklight trap has emerged from its winter slumber. Last nights venture only drew in one unknown moth, but a lot of craneflies. I did ID one Fungus Gnat, but that was only due to the fact that I know what they look like. The junior entomologist in me still is not skilled enough to ID with out a picture and a book. Someday it will happen!
All in all it was not a bad night, trap ran from 9-11 pm, got one good image of a female Cranefly, but more will come soon.
Cranefly
I plan on running this setup every other night until the weather makes it impossible. So if you are driving through South River and see a blue glow its probably me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment