Monday, October 24, 2011

A Scouting I Will Go

Now in the Great State of New Jersey evening temps are getting low. This means no more Moth Nights or Dragonfly Surveys, Fall is upon us. What to do now? Time-lapse photography of course!
I've been getting back in form by running some over the last few evenings in the backyard. So Sunday was "Scouting Sunday", which I will do for the rest of the Fall & Winter. My visits were local mostly parks &  other public locations.

The first visit was to a site I know pretty well. Dallenback Lake in East Brunswick, NJ. The site of many a moth night with the Friends of the East Brunswick Environmental Commission. It is a nice local but not really what I was looking for. While there, I swung by the Freecycle Event that EBEC was hosting. Picked up 7 roll of expired film from the 80's, that is how you make art if you didn't already know. I also talked to Dave Moskowitz about next years Moth Week, which is going to be Bad Ass. So check it out and maybe add your location to the list. Come On, DO IT!

Later I made my way to Farrington Lake in EB, but unfortunately my favorite site from there was right on the road. Don't think a camera could make it for 3 plus hours there, but it is a pretty view.

Right on Riva Ave.
Easing on down the road, my wandering brought me to a place I always forget about. Davidson's Mill Pond Park in South Brunswick, NJ. Right at the end of Riva Ave very near RT. 130. I stuck to the pond area, even though there is much more to see there. I decided on this vantage point.

Best part is, the bench I'm sitting on.
I'll be using some of my old Canon 10D's for this project. Shooting full 6mp at fine Jpeg then cropping down to 1080 HD. Running the cameras will be my Stop Shot set in Interval Mode along with the Canon TC-80N3. Also, a new Thermos & one of those Hunters Blankets will most likely be needed. Just a couple of hours out in the cold for 1800 frame, how bad could it be? It should be a fun time, YouTube post to follow soon along with Bird Lists from my adventures.

Sunday 10/23:
Ruby-Crowned Kinglet
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Tree Swallow
American Tree Sparrow
Belted Kingfisher
Blue Jay
American Crow
Cooper's Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
Turkey Vulture

Non Bird List
Common Buckeye
Common Wood Nymph
Black Saddlebags Dragonfly
Meadow Hawk Dragonfly
European Hornet

0 comments:

Post a Comment